Playlist Challenge: By the Numbers Edition
This one is relatively easy. Name one song each from five different acts: solo, duo, trio, four-piece and five-piece. For bonus points, try to come up with songs (or at least performances), where all the music is played by the number of individuals indicated.
1. “Vulnerable” – Sarah Jaffe. I’m not usually a fan of solo artists (or singer-songwriters for that matter), but I’ve seen her perform by herself, and Sarah can really hold a room.
2. “Simple Girl” – Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. I really like the way this duo fills their songs with so much melodic layering.
3. “Philosophy” – Ben Folds Five. No, I didn’t accidentally place this two spots ahead. Ben Folds’ virtuosity piano playing can sometimes distract from the fact that BF5 was never more than a three-person affair, with only bass and drums–never a guitar–backing him up.
4. ”1-2-3 Stop” – The Postelles. No, I suppose it’s not that difficult to come up with songs by bands with four members. This song reminds me of that great post-punk power-pop sound, circa 1981, even though it’s much more recent than that. Just a great tune.
5. “Tongue Tied” – Grouplove. A good song, and an appropriately named band for the No. 5 position.